Saturday 28 July 2012

Obsessed with social media...

This is not going to be any kind of in-depth, analytical or even worthwhile engagement with this topic, it is just merely a passing musing. But what is it with this strange obsession with putting out all our feeling, thoughts and activities out into the world wide web for all to see? Most people say all the time that they always know exactly what's going on with me or what I've been up to even if they haven't seen or spoken to me in ages - just because that's how much I post on facebook. But the inherent dangers that lie in things like facebook, twitter and , yes - blogging! - are endless. People make so many false assumptions about people and who they are based on facebook updates and photos - and while I certainly think that it is some reflection of who you are it is never the sum total of a person and never truly reflects their thoughts and feelings. Secondly, it allows people, and I am most certainly guilty of this even if I do it in a cryptic or abstract and veiled way, to air their dirty laundry for all to see. I must be rather unattractive I'd imagine and right now I'm almost feeling slightly embarrassed to admit it.

I used to think that despite my incessant need to post things on the interwebs that I still maintained a certain respectable level of discretion as to what to post and what not to. And while I don't think this is entirely untrue sometimes maybe the emotions I'm feeling at the time outweigh my capacity for reason just the tiniest bit. And while I have been getting incredibly annoyed at having to over think every status or picture I post, and have started making certain things only visible to certain people in order to avoid hurt feelings or unwanted inquiries into further explanations or false assumptions or just plan judgement - I do feel I need to re-evaluate my place in this big bad world of social media.

And what better way to start doing that than by using one of my social media outlets, right? :P lol

Ok, I have to go shopping for my very exciting belated birthday bash I'm having with my friend Claire (a 'big kids party' - very amped), so I will be loving and leaving anyone who is actually even reading this :P

Much peace and love and ladybugs to you all!! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment