Tuesday 30 April 2013

My adventures across the country...


So I have, once again, neglected my blog terribly over the last few months and this needs to be rectified asap! For now, let me catch you up on my adventures of the last little while. They have been eventful indeed.
 
                The Chili Peppers and yucky (but fun!) Jozi

At the end of Feb I missioned up to Jo’burg and stayed with the awesome Sarah for about a week for a mini friend reunion and – of course – TO SEE THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS PLAY LIVE. Yes, it was amazing. And yes, it did make my life. But before we get to that…

As I always say, Jo’burg really is just not my city. Half our trip really was taken up by traffic and shopping malls – and those are not exactly how you’d like to spend your time on holiday! But then again, I suppose that’s why everyone from there, leaves when it’s their holiday time :P But Claire, Sarah, Megz and I did manage to have plenty of fun – including experiencing the Jozi night life and having an extremely eventful Pimms afternoon which resulted in a strawberry and cucumber fight in the pool. "Because only in Sandton do you have a strawberry fight!!" :P You can see my hilarious behaviour in the video below. Why I expose myself in such embarrassing moments, I do not know :P





One of the most amazing experiences of the trip was our visit to the lion park where we got to actually stroke and interact with some little lion cubs, who were just amazing. They are so gorgeous, and being up close to them like that was awesome. The one in the photo below was also a rather playful one who was fascinated by my flowy, colourful dress, and his eager little swipes were responsible for the little hole it now has in it.



Seeing the volunteer workers at the place looking after the slightly larger lion cubs was amazing too, ‘cause the lions are so comfortable and affectionate with them. I was so jealous. They were literally lying ON TOP of the keepers like bigger and much more intimidating looking house cats.


On top of that and seeing all the big cats chilling about the park, we also got to feed a giraffe out of our hands which was a fun but rather strange experience. The giraffe was not at all perturbed by the bunch of people around stroking him or putting their arms around his neck – I suppose he was used to it by now. All he was interested in was the food. His mouth and long twisty tongue felt very strange against the palm of your hand though. And his chin was really furry and bristly like he was rocking quite a formidable beard.




Another exciting part of the trip did, in fact, involve the malls – and that was the discovery of my new favourite shop EVAR and what could probably be called an addiction – Cotton On. Luckily the local branch is in Pavillion (somewhere I never go), otherwise my bank balance would definitely be worse for wear. But I made the most of my visits to it in Jo’burg (and later in Cape Town) that I have some rather lovely little pieces added to my wardrobe. Including these stunning sunglasses and cute crop top vibes ^_^




And then there was the concert. Although the overall experience wasn’t THE most amazing just cause of the general vibe and the extremely disappointing supporting acts (including Die Antwoord who I thought would actually be super entertaining but who proved, in fact to be nothing more than a couple of foul mouthed, weirdly dressed peeps, running up and down the stage swearing at the audience – and not even in anything close to a musically interesting way), the performance itself was absolutely awe-inspiring. I could not believe I really was so frikken close to these legends. And to see these guys who have been in the industry for this long and who are still rocking out the way they do if just amazing. I cannot express the overflowing respect I felt standing there (well, jumping up and down there, screaming so much and singing along so loudly I lost my voice :P).




One thing this Jo’burg trip did open my eyes to was, not only the fact of how awesome it was to be back with my awesome girls, but also how refreshing it was to get out of Durban and be somewhere new – even if it was just yucky Jo’burg. And so maybe it partly inspired my next and much greater adventure… 

No comments:

Post a Comment